Last weekend was the autumn equinox and the autumnal weather has certainly arrived up here in Yorkshire now! Though I miss the long light evenings and the warmer weather this is one of my favourite times of the year. So instead of saying goodbye to summer, I thought I’d let you know five things I look forward to saying hello to in autumn.
1. The food – it’s everywhere –
blackberries, apples, pears, autumn raspberries, all delicious, all fresh, all really good for you. Go for a walk and see what you can find, I guarantee it will be tastier than anything you can buy and there’s something remarkably satisfying about foraging for your own food!
2. The colours – everywhere you look the colours are starting to turn from the summer greens to autumnal yellow, golds, rusts and reds. Its absolutely stunning and I love getting outside for a run to enjoy it.
3. The harvest – it finally stopped raining for long enough for us to finish combining! Our years work culminates in these days of harvesting, so its always a satisfying feeling to bring the crops in.
4. The fire – coming in from the cold to the first fire of the autumn is such a nice feeling, getting cosy inside while the weather does its worst outside!
5. The weather – it’s finally porridge eating weather!! Though we eat it right through the summer now is definitely porridge time. Hurrah!